Sunday, June 16, 2013

Anxiety, stress, and yoga.

As a person with a lot of stress in her life (it's always been this way and I don't see that changing anytime soon) I'm always looking for a way to calm my anxiety. However, while there was a short period of time that I was okay with being medicated for my anxiety, I would now rather find an all natural way to deal with it all. I guess it's a good thing I never saw the same therapist/psychologist long enough to be prescribed something, now that I think of it.
I've found two, very powerful, yet very simple ways to ease my stress and anxiety at home - as well as a quick, easy way to deal with it when I cannot remove myself from the situation. These do not always work. There are exceptions... and though they work for most people when done properly, there are some people who just can't make it work.

The first way: Yoga. Relaxing, deep breathing, stretching, becoming more in tune with your body. Yoga improves your posture, your flexibility, and your well-being. I absolutely adore yoga and while I can't find time to involve it in my daily life (it's hard with a two year old, can't imagine when Ash gets here!) I try to do it 3-4 times a week. Doing yoga has helped immensely with my stress and anxiety levels. It also helps me calm my Pregzilla hormones.
The second way: Meditation. Listening to relaxing music, grounding yourself, breathing deeply. Everything about meditating promotes relaxation. You go into your own peaceful, little world... before I had a baby I could get to a point where you could probably drop a bomb next to me and I wouldn't notice. I was completely oblivious to the outside world, almost as if I was asleep. It's pretty stellar.

The third way: Focusing on your breath. This is what I do when I'm in public, panicking, and can't leave the troublesome situation. I take deep breaths, I count, and I focus on each breath. Every breath in, brings with it positivity, peace, and happy. Every breath out removes negativity, anxiety and anger. It takes about five minutes and is usually enough to tide me over until I can leave, but it doesn't work every time. Nine times out of ten, though, it does work, and that's enough for me.

I hope this post can help at least one other person!



No comments:

Post a Comment